Sunday, December 9, 2007

cross-eyed and successful































This may or may not come as a surprise to you,
but I am dyslexic. Not severely dyslexic, but if
you want proof try giving me string of random
numbers orally. I will not be able to repeat the
numbers back to you after you hit a certain, critical
length (~8 digits). If you want to see me fail even more
miserably, try asking me to repeat those numbers
backwards. No matter how much concentration and
effort I put into this task it's impossible, and the sensation
of having crossed wires in my head is intense.

Dyslexic people often develop a lot of compensatory
skills that allow them to function in world. You may
or may not be familiar with my unique talents.
Dyslexic people excel in certain fields because of
their learned compensatory skills.
It's estimated
that 10% of adults in the US are dyslexic.

My older brother used to have a Tony Little work
out tape. If you don't know who Tony Little is, all you
really need to know is that he has no neck and his cardio
work-out of choice is "the Gazelle." He used to say
something like, "Variety is the spice of life." He was
of course referring to cross-training, but I like to
think that this statement is true in a more general
sense. Although conditions like dyslexia, autism,
etc. are medicalized and scientifically well defined
they are not pathological, in my opinion, with the
exception of extremely severe cases. One man's
crossed wires maybe be another man's great creative
thought process. Seriously... celebrate your snowflake
of a brain.


No comments: